Each year, the Ohio Department of Education issues a Special Education Rating to all districts and community schools in Ohio. This rating evaluates the performance of special education programs in each district and there are four possible ratings: Meets Requirements, Needs Assistance, Needs Intervention or Needs Substantial Intervention.
West Muskingum Local Schools received the highest rating awarded by the state: Meets Requirements.
The 2021 rating assesses each district’s performance on the following Compliance Indicators:
- Discipline discrepancies by race
- Disproportionality in special education identification
- Initial evaluation timelines
- Early childhood transition
- Secondary transition planning
- Timely correction of noncompliance
- Timely and accurate data reporting
- Special education audit findings
We appreciate the efforts of our students, staff, and families and we will continue to work hard to improve the process and experience for everyone involved.