Mrs. Leary’s 6th Grade Math Information
To help make this a successful year for your child in Math, I would like you to be aware of some important information.
1) Math Homework is assigned almost every evening, unless otherwise noted in the agendas!
2) Be sure to check Progress Book for assignments, daily comments, and grades. If you need help accessing ProgressBook, please contact the office at (740) 455-4055.
3) Students are not issued a Math textbook; however, all students have a Math Spiral. These spirals have different sections labeled for Notes, ComputerWork, and Problem of the Days (P.O.D.s). Students also have a Math folder to keep their homework and Eureka lessons organized. You need to see the Math Spiral and folder come home on a regular basis. If you are not seeing these items, please ask your child where they are.
4) Students are assigned Math Reviews on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and P.O.D.s on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The students are required to keep their Math Reviews in their Math folder, and the P.O.D.s are glued in the P.O.D. section of their Math Spiral. These assignments are reviewed in class. In order to help alleviate some of the homework load during the week, I give students the Math Reviews that are due the next week on Fridays.
5) Problem of the Day Tests are given after every 10 P.O.D.s.
6) Math Fact Tests and Math Review Quizzes are given on Fridays, unless otherwise noted in the agendas. Students know what Math Fact level they will be tested over. All students have a Math Fact Data Graph located in their Math Spirals.
7) Students should have Math flashcards or a Math Facts App at home to be practicing their math fact fluency and accuracy. The Math-Aids site allows you to download and print the flashcards at home:
8) All students have a Khan Academy account which is an individualized web based Math program. Students will be able to log on to their accounts at home. The students can login to their accounts by using their school Google contact information. The students will be required to have a certain percentage of their mission completed by the end of each 9 weeks. The students will earn a grade for their progress each 9 weeks as well.
9) We will also focus on vocabulary throughout the year. All students will write Math Vocabulary words in the Notes section of their Math Spirals. You should see your child review these words on a constant basis. You could even quiz your child over these words as well! We will discuss the definitions of these words as we cover certain topics in class. Quizlet is a great online site to practice vocab words, and it’s FREE!!!
10) We will be teaching the Common Core State Standards this year for Math. Please see the attached reference sheet for more information regarding the Common Core State Standards. We will be using a Common Core Math program as well. It is called Eureka. You can find more information about the Eureka program at Great Minds.
11) Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns by email, telephone, or through Remind. Information regarding remind is attached. You can also find additional information on my web page.
Mrs. Britton Leary
Phone: 740-455-4055 ext. 2048